Thursday, May 17, 2018

460-469: Spanish. Dios habla hoy.

You guys! Inspired by Juhmpa Lahiri's example, I said I would translate Bible passages from the Spanish, and I'm doing it! I also checked out a SAT-II Spanish prep book, just as an example of my other thrilling options, but I just tested out of it here, so I am excused from wading through that.

I am using Dios habla hoy instead of the classic Reina Valera. I already owned an RV, but I got tired of fighting with the antiquated language. Since my goal is to improve my conversational Spanish (without having to actually take the risk of actually conversing-- yet), I didn't want to end up walking around sounding like the Spanish equivalent of a King James Bible.

I translate about a paragraph a day, more or less. I do it in writing, which forces me to be honest about the words I don't know. Sometimes I just reread what I have already done and see how many of the new words I still remember. Sometimes, when a passage is very familiar, I just translate as I read.

I find the vocabulary of the Epistles is pretty manageable, since any unusual, theological words are probably cognates of English. The Psalms, though, are really teaching me a lot of great vocabulary for weather phenomena, weaponry, and emotions. I'm also getting some practice recognizing idioms: "tener presente" (to keep in mind), "hacer pedazos" (to tear into pieces),  "tocar en suerte" (a transitive for "to luck into").

I kind of love this one: instead of saying "I lucked into a beautiful home," in Spanish one says "A beautiful home touched me in luck." The Spanish language is very good at removing human agency from events: it's not "I forgot my homework" but "Se me olvido la tarea" (The homework forgot itself to me). I was just standing there, and that darn homework went and forgot itself! What could I do? There I was, and a beautiful house reached out with a lucky touch!

Before I can learn what the idioms mean, though, I have to realize that's what they are, that is, that even though I know the individual words, I can't translate word for word, but that the combination means something else. I've watched English language learners struggle with this phenomenon, so it's good for me to have the same experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment