Saturday, January 1, 2022

680-689: Manufacturing for specific uses: Stop Stealing Sheep and learn how type works!

 Would you like this book?

The easiest way to answer that question may be to look at the extensive sample available here. My guess is that you will either instantly fall in love with the sharp graphics, bright colors and varied typefaces featured, or you'll just be left cold. 

I loved it, but that might be because I was a calligrapher for about 20 years, starting at age 14, so I have been thinking about letterforms most of my life. Kerning, ligatures, ascenders and descenders and serifs were a big part of my life for a long time and are still something I can get excited about. Then there's the whole beautiful range of things one typeface family can do. Bold, italic, condensed, extra condensed, the same typeface can grab your attention or fade into the background, anchor a concept or dance across the page. Readability can be enhanced-- you can even cue the reader's speed-- by line length and spacing. And when it comes right down to it... letterforms are just beautiful!

This post was set using the Saira font family, one of the few available in Blogger that has a wide variety of weights. When it comes to fonts, you always have choices-- choose wisely-- and have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment